October 11, 2011

Weekly Menu: October 10

Once again we had some hits and some misses this week.  The one thing I am really enjoying about these weekly menus is that my grocery bill has gone way down!!  I still buy things that are on sale (last week was 10 for $10, 11th item free) like bread, pasta, canned goods that I know we will eat and won't go bad.

Also, I do cook every night, but these are the ones that work or what I choose to share.

The meals this week are:

Three Cheese Broccolini Turnovers

This recipe was very good.  The kids didn't really care for it, I think it had more to do with the ease of eating rather than the taste.  I probably won't be making this again simply because the prep time was over and hour!  I don't work with phyllo dough very often (and it's expensive!) and it took me awhile to handle it correctly and wash each piece with egg.

Beef and Taters TV Dinner


I'll be honest, I wasn't looking forward to this one.  I knew my husband would like it, so I went for it.  Let me tell you, it was fantastic!  I did use extra cream in the potatoes because you only end up with a little in the box so I didn't want to waste it.  I also used ground beef instead of ground sirloin because we had just stocked up at Costco.  Put this one on your list!

Chicken with Mushrooms and Peas

Once again, I made some changes. I used chicken breasts instead of thighs, since that is what we had from our Costco trip.  Rob and I really liked this one.  The kids were fine with it, not their favorite, but they ate it with little complaint.  I will add this on our list, but only occasionally.

If you do use chicken breasts instead, don't forget to adjust the spices. I didn't and the taste of the thyme was a bit strong for me.

I also made roasted potatoes with this meal. Once again, I used a baking potato, because that is what I had at home. They turned out great, a keeper for those comfort meals of the winter.

Apple Crisp

I also made an apple crisp from a mix I got at the apple orchard from our apples we got last weekend. It is fabulous!  The above isn't the recipe, but it's similar.  Below is my crisp with vanilla bean ice cream!  YUM!




Let me know if you try any of these, I would like to know what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! It will be up soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...