January 19, 2011

Currently Reading

I was lucky enough to get a  Kindle for Christmas from my husband and my children.  I was so excited because last year I had to decide between a new camera or a kindle.  I chose the camera.

My newest book on the Kindle is The Six Wives of Henry VIII by Alison Weir.


First let me say that I am 100% Tudorphile.  I love all things to do with Tudor England, not just the King and his ladies.  With that being said, I'm, of course, engrossed in this book.

Alison Weir presents the material in a reader friendly format which I enjoy since I do my reading at night after the kids are in bed and the house is picked up.  Which equals brain dead.  I would suggest looking at a map of Tudor England. It makes it a little easier to follow along and not get lost in all the movement of the court.  I also like to look at the castles mentioned, you can do so here.  Also, you can find Queen Anne's home, Hever Castle, here.

I'm only 1/4 of the way through, so I'll share a proper review when I finish the book.  So far, the book has confirmed to me that Katherine of Aragon had to fight almost her entire time in England.  It seems that Henry did love her for much longer than I had previously thought and seemed to only fall out of love with her when Anne came into the picture which was also around the same time that she could no longer produce that much anticipated male heir for Henry Rex.  Oh the drama that was Henry VIII reign!

Interested in more Henry VIII info?  Check here, here, and here.  Also, if you get BBC America, they are running all the seasons of The Tudors right now.  Trust me, each season is better than the last!  It's also on Netflix if you are a subscriber.  Remember though that the show rooted in fact has A LOT of fiction, so use it as a jumping off point.

What are you reading?  Any suggestions to add to my reading list?  My goal is to read 12 books or one per month and I'm looking to step out of my usual history/mystery cycle.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for the comment! It will be up soon!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...